Saturday, February 8, 2014

a lovely night


Derek and I are sitting on the couch watching Lion King. Derek is tucked against me, his feet in my lap and his butt against my side. Yang is curled up on the ottoman in front of us. The house is warm and dark and this feels nice. 

I don't know what I was thinking about earlier today, but I was driving to Last Chance, singing the ABC's with Derek and I suddenly realized (or decided) that my life is a million times better than it was three years ago and it's better because of Derek. Who'd have thought a crazy toddler could make such a difference? I don't particularly like my job, my car gets crappy mileage and I feel like I never have any extra money (I probably shouldn't be going to Last Chance, should I?) ... but in spite of all of that and anything else I could complain about, I'm happier than I've ever been.

I left Last Chance without buying new shoes and I don't wear a lot of designer jeans anymore--instead, I browse the racks for a perfect pair of Kut jeans--only $10!, but no luck tonight. I settled for a t-shirt for Derek for $2.97. We picked up a banana on the way out and we sang songs and looked for fire trucks and police cars all the way home.

Little things, like his singing face in the backseat or his enthusiasm for car washes and police car, have made such a huge, huge difference in my life.

I was going to write more, but he's begging for chicken and begging for bed at the same time right now -- so I'd better put down the computer for a while.

Bon nuit

Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment